Pupil’s views are obtained about a range of curriculum areas. We use the pupil’s responses and ideas to improve systems and ideas across the school. We currently have pupil voice groups set up for the following areas:
Thinking Drive Team
The Thinking Drive Team meet regularly to develop their knowledge of Thinking Tools and then support others in their class with this. Each class has a representative who is passionate about developing their skills in all Thinking areas. The Thinking Drive Team is led by Miss Martin and Miss Kingsland.
Pupil Premium Team
The Pupil Premium Team is led by Miss Studniarz.
We have an Eco Committee who are working on making the school more environmentally friendly. The Eco Committee is lead by Miss Bristol.
At New Horizons Children’s Academy, we are proud to have democratically elected pupil representatives that take part in School Council meetings. The purpose of the School Council is to make sure that all pupils have a voice so that they can be involved in decisions about the school that affect them.
Through Class Councils, all pupils have the opportunity to raise issues, give opinions and share ideas in discussions led by a School Council member. The School Council also has a display board with a whole school suggestion box, which members bring to meetings. Wider issues can then be raised at School Council meetings to ensure that children’s views are heard.
Pupils at New Horizons know that they have a voice and that their thoughts matter.
Issues that might be discussed in School Council meetings include:
- School rules and policies
- School equipment
- School and community fundraising
- School meals
- Facilities in school
- Community issues
- Ideas to ensure all children are happy in school
Every child has the opportunity to participate in the activities of the School Council through class discussions with the School Council representatives.
The School Council meet at least once a term to discuss school issues. School council meetings are organised by Miss Martin.
Being a School Council representative is a very important job. Each member has signed the School Council Charter, a list of promises that he or she will follow to best represent their classmates.
Each member promises…
- To listen to what the people in our classes want and share their ideas in meetings.
- To make sure we share the views of our classmates and not just our own opinions.
- To attend regular meetings.
- To report back to our classes after meetings.
- To give up some of our personal time to make the school better.
- To help make positive changes at New Horizons.
- To be excellent role models by always making the right choices and having a positive attitude.
- To take part in whole school events.
In Term 1, we will also be creating an SMSC Drive Team led by Miss McCaw, which we are very excited about!