Chartwells, our catering company, make all meals from scratch in our kitchen daily. School lunches have changed enormously over the years and are now really delicious!
If your child has a specific dietary requirement, Chartwells will be able to prepare meals to meet their needs.
All children in Reception – Year 2 are entitled to a free school meal, however, if you prefer, your child may bring a packed lunch to school. Packed lunches should be healthy and balanced with no more than one small piece of chocolate or cake. No fizzy drinks or sweets packed with e-numbers please.
Free School Meals
Your child might be able to get free school meals if you get any of the following:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on – paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax CreditYour preferences have prevented this content from being loaded. If you have recently changed your preferences, please try reloading the page
- Universal Credit
Children who get paid these benefits directly, instead of through a parent or guardian, can also get free school meals.
Your child might also get free school meals if you get any of these benefits and your child is both:
- younger than the compulsory age for starting school
- in full-time education
Infant Free School Meals
Your child is entitled to a school meal free of charge if they’re in:
- Reception class
- Year 1
- Year 2
Even though your child will receive a school meal, if you are receiving any of the benefits listed above you should still apply as your child’s school will also be entitled to extra funding of £1,300 known as Pupil Premium.
How to apply for Free School Meal
To make an application for free school meals you must apply online. Paper applications are no longer available.
You will need to provide:
- your own name and date of birth
- contact details
- national insurance number or national asylum seekers number
- child’s name and date of birth
- school your child is attending or will attend
Please click on the link to apply: https://www.medway.gov.uk/info/200164/school_information/354/free_school_meals